1. What Does Scotchgard™ Protector do to a shingle to help my roof? Atlas shingles featuring Scotchgard Protector have the single best solution to stop the ugly staining and streaking of algae from causing premature ugliness developing on your roof. Simply stated, the protection is built in so that the color you choose is the color you keep.
2. What makes the Atlas shingles algae-resistant? Is it a spray or something else?Scotchgard Protector in a roofing shingle is NOT a chemical or spray. It is a consistent blend of copper coated granules with a proprietary 3M porous ceramic coating that allows copper ions to release slowly over time, preventing algae growth from ever starting on your roof. Copper granules must be uniformly distributed across the entire surface of the shingle, including the hip & ridge in a minimum 10% blend. In fact, to use the Scotchgard Protector brand, Atlas is required to send shingles from every shift to an independent third party testing facility for verification of this formulation. The bottom line is that Scotchgard protection is built into the shingle that is nailed down on your roof. Nothing else to apply, no future cleaning needed. See Question 7 for a list of Atlas shingles featuring Scotchgard Protector.
3. Other manufacturers state that they have an Algae-Resistant shingle, is there a difference? The difference is huge. Algae Resistant shingles on the market today are designed to provide SHORT TERM protection against this staining problem. Other manufacturers use only enough copper to get the shingle from staining for the first few years of its useful life. After that, expect streaking. If they claim otherwise, ask them what their warranty against algae staining covers. That might be embarrassing for them. If they persist and claim they too have copper granules in their shingles, ask them what is the minimum percentage they use across the entire shingle. If they continue the claim, ask them to prove it. That might get their attention. Only shingles with the Scotchgard Protector brand are guaranteed to be manufactured with the same 3M approved formulation to fight algae every time, no matter what. Furthermore, only Atlas provides LIFETIME protection against algae streaks and stains. If it doesn’t say Scotchgard Protector, you don’t know what’s in it.
4. What is algae and what types of algae are covered? The primary type of algae found on roof-tops has been identified by 3M scientists as Gloeocapsa Magma, often called “blue-green” or “black” algae. These algae produce a dark pigmented sheath to protect themselves from ultra-violet rays. When the black streaks are noticeable, the algae have likely been growing for many months or even years. There are several other types of algae that grow on roofs that are not as prevalent as the common “black” algae seen on most roofs. Atlas shingles featuring Scotchgard Protector from 3M protect against ALL types of algae. Ask other manufacturers if their warranty covers against all types of algae and let the tap dancing begin.
5. How does algae get on my roof and why does it spread? Typically, algae can form anywhere on a roof where moisture collects and stays. Algae thrives in humid environments‚ often appearing first on the north slope of a roof where extra shade and moisture support its growth. Algae can derive mineral nutrients from fillers such as calcium carbonate in asphalt shingles. Increased use of moisture attracting calcium carbonate fillers cause asphalt shingles to retain moisture longer‚ thus promoting algae growth. Algae spores are carried by the wind which is why so many homes in the same neighborhood can end up with this problem.
6. Do Atlas shingles featuring Scotchgard Protector cost more than standard shingles in the market? Atlas shingles featuring Scotchgard Protector are competitively priced against other leading shingle brands. Your investment in a roofing shingle is one of the most important decisions you can make to preserve the curb appeal and aesthetics of your prized possession. Choose Atlas shingles featuring Scotchgard Protector and preserve the value of your home, prevent costly cleaning fees down the road, and keep your roof looking beautiful.
7. Which Atlas Shingles are availible with the best algae-resistant shingle material, Scotchgard Protector? Pinnacle Featuring Scothgard, Stormmaster Shake and Stormmaster Slate.
Courtesy of Atlas Roofing Corporation