With the fall upon us, the air is crisp and the leaves are changing color. While beautiful, the leaves’ falling from the trees is a reminder that we need to clean our gutters! Here are tips to get them clean!
Tips for Gutter Maintenance
- It’s recommended that you clean your gutters in spring and fall.
- If you live in an area with lots of trees, it is especially important to clean out the accumulated leaves to keep them from clogging. Make sure you clear the downspouts of any leaves or debris as well, as these can result in mildew and mud, and can cause your gutters to sag.
- To prevent future clogging, we highly recommend Kaycan’s Proguard II gutter guard. It can easily be installed with your current gutters, and in addition to preventing clogging, Proguard provides structural protection from rotting, mold, and cracks caused by moisture and debris. It is made from 100% aluminum and will not rust! It is a simple investment that will protect your home for years to come.
- Check all the hangers and make sure they are firmly attached to the fascia and into the rafter behind it.
- Check for any leaks or holes and repair them with silicone sealing to prevent water from getting down behind the gutters. Pay close attention to the rivets on the downspouts too. Those can come loose, but you can tighten them up easily with a rivet gun.
- Once you’ve done all of these things, it’s time to get down to business and clean out the gutters. The easiest way to do this is with a pressure washer. Just make sure you don’t hit them at too high of an angle or you will blow the shingles off your roof!
Fall is the perfect time to clean them, no matter where you live. So make sure you add gutter cleaning to your fall to-do list!